Search for events. If you want to access past events, click ‘Previous events’.
- This event has passed.
AAEEBL Annual Meeting 2023
July 13 - July 21
AAEEBL has a long history of, and commitment to, practices and pedagogies that enable learners to document and reflect on their learning and that promote / encourage authentic assessment and academic integrity. Indeed, ePortfolio pedagogies and research have demonstrated the importance of creating space for learners to share connections and transfer learning between and among contexts. New opportunities to consider the ways that we can engage learners with ePortfolios in authentic assessment continue to proliferate.
The COVID-19 pandemic prompted (or forced) many of us in the ePortfolio community to rethink how we design ePortfolio implementations so as to center those who are often marginalized. Since then, the ongoing ramifications of post-pandemic life as well as new opportunities for rethinking pedagogical practices such as the emergence of Artificial Intelligence (AI) require that we remain vigilant in designing ePortfolio opportunities that foster equity and inclusion while also promoting engagement, authentic learning, and academic integrity. Now more than ever, changes in enrollments and budgets demand that we articulate the value and impact of ePortfolios to institutional and community stakeholders.
The 2023 AAEEBL Annual Meeting will be a place of exploration: How are inclusive pedagogies that harness ePortfolio practices in a post-pandemic world best designed to foster authentic assessment and academic integrity? AI is an emerging field and topic of discussion in the portfolio world. How do we interact with it? What does it all mean in regards to design justice, digital ethics, assessment, and inclusive portfolio planning? In which ways can AI benefit portfolio activities for both students and instructors? How do we leverage the principles of design justice to create successful portfolio implementation frameworks and follow digital ethics portfolio design principles to foster belonging for all?
Four focus areas
- Authentic assessment: How can authentic assessment strategies center marginalized voices, e.g. in institutional assessment and accreditation efforts, effective course and program design?
- Digital tools, including AI: How can portfolio practice give students the critical digital literacies to navigate present and emerging digital tools in ways that complement and extend their learning, productivity, and well-being? How does technology expand and / or constrain the scope of our vision for ePortfolios that are designed with justice in mind?
- Design justice: How can portfolio designs be justice oriented, and how can these designs improve and enhance higher education? How should we consider the principles of design when implementing ePortfolios?
- Effective implementation frameworks: How can applying an effective implementation framework using a stakeholder approach and other high impact practices sustain, heal, and empower all members of our community? How can we most effectively promote equity, access, inclusion, and belonging through ePortfolio implementations? What practices (e.g. pedagogies, integrations, assessments, reflections, showcases, professional development) have proven to be successful in creating authentic assessments?
- Online part: 13 and 14 July 2023
- In-person part:
- Pre-conference workshop day: 19 July 2023 in Vancouver, BC, Canada, at Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Conference: 20-21 July 2023 in Vancouver, BC, Canada, at Kwantlen Polytechnic University
The last day, 21 July 2023, is a half day, finishing around 1pm.
Registration and tickets
Go to our registration site for the full details.
You can register only for the online part or for the full event. If you are planning on attending in-person in Vancouver, please select the ‘Full Registration’ option that applies to you.
Students register for free!
Institutions can order in bulk for USD2,000 and send as many delegates as they wish. Please contact us to receive instructions on how to pay and allow your institution members to register.
Conference schedule and venue
Check out our Annual Meeting website for information on sessions and the KPU venue.